With the onset of a new year, I decided to post something I developed in grad school titled "Life Lessons." It's a series of three life lessons that provides lumination to the path of my core values. So today, I share Life Lesson #1.
Once again, I find myself in unfamiliar territory with new faces and new places. I’m navigating through new terrain making sense of the winds of change that have blown me to West Texas. Starting a new journey is never easy but no matter where I go or what I do, I carry with me three major life lessons that continue to resonate throughout my voyage. When the going gets tough, I revert to these lessons and without fail, in a short time, find I’m pulling myself up by the boot straps better able to face any trial or situation.
Life Lesson #1: Hard work always pays off
I had just gotten off the phone with my admissions counselor who delivered both the good and the bad news. The good news was that I had been accepted to Angelo State University. The bad news, however, was that after all the back-and-forth between not one, not two, but multiple schools, my indecisiveness had caught up to me. My dad told me as a little girl that “you always reap what you sow” and I saw this coming to fruition with a 2.18 GPA.
"How did I allow this to happen?" I thought to myself. I’m a bright, smart girl who finished high school with honors as a Texas Scholar and a 4.0 GPA.
But here I am several years later with a diverse work history behind me and little education to show for it. Angelo State was not my first choice but due to circumstances outside of my control, it was my only choice. So those first few years I loathed my position. Instead of taking advantage of it, I threw those opportunities down the proverbial toilet.
Approaching the end of my twenty’s, I started to realize I would never advance to a position where I could realize my full potential without a college degree. It was in that moment that I decided my only option was to roll up my sleeves and get to work. This time it was different. I had a plan and I was determined. I knew I didn’t have the option of playing around and so semester by semester; Dean’s List by Dean’s List; I worked hard to slowly improve my GPA.
One of my life-long dreams was to visit Italy: something about the landscape and the history that enamored me. Naturally when I found out about the study abroad program, my eyes lit up. “What a great opportunity,” I thought until I saw the requirements. My current GPA wasn’t enough to get me into the program, but it was still summer and I felt my summer grades could be enough to push me into the realm of meeting requirements. I diligently worked on my application, updated my resume, and put my best foot forth.
My summer grades were in the process of being posted when I was notified I got an interview for the program! My luck was turning; or so I thought. The interview went great and then another month went by without notice. I contacted the Program Director to inquire and was told the program was waiting to review my fall grades which were to be posted within the next few weeks.
Would it be enough to gain me admissions into the program?
I was very nervous because by then I had discovered over 200 students had applied and only 45 were given interviews. After the interviews, only 20 undergraduate and 7 graduate students would be accepted into the program. So my odds were approximately 1 in 10 and not favorable.
It was just a few weeks before Christmas and since it was winter break, I wasn’t in the habit of checking my school email. On that day for some reason, I decided to check. I noticed that I had several messages one of them sent that very morning from the Program Director. My heart started racing and pounding and I sat there staring at the screen for what felt like eternity. Not wanting to open the email for fear it would contain the news I did not want to hear and then wanting to open it simply to find out.
I was oscillating and the suspense inside was building. I thought I might have a heart attack when I heard a familiar click. I didn’t even realize it but I had double-clicked on the email causing it to opening. I didn’t want to look but there was the message staring me in the face. So I briefly scanned the email but was so nervous I couldn’t make out what it said.
So slowly, I began reading line by line. I got to the part that said, “After reviewing your application and considering your interview, I’m please to extend to you an invitation to participate in the 2009 Italy/Greece Study abroad program.” The remainder of the email was logistics and as far as I knew read, “blah, blah, blah!” It was then that it hit me. I screamed, got out of my seat, and jumped up and down like a crazy woman! “I was in!” was all I could say when I called my parents to give them the news.
Not only did I receive acceptance into the program but I was awarded a full scholarship which paid for everything except for $1,000 in tuition. When I received my summer financial aid award, I discovered I was given $1,000 in a grant which would cover my remaining tuition fees. It was a perfect graduation gift. I’d walk in the May commencement with my last six hours obtained through the Italy/Greece summer program. After spending a month in Italy and Greece, I’d come home to my degree and a 3.17 GPA! What a perfect way to end my undergraduate career!
I have never felt more proud of my hard work. I’d witnessed that indeed hard work reaps rewards and benefits. Sometimes these benefits are tangible and sometimes they’re intangible.
Luckily for me, this reward was tangible and fulfilled a life-long dream!
No comments:
Post a Comment