Life Lesson #2: “Father knows best”
Who hasn’t heard the term “Father knows best”? When I say this phrase, I’m talking in a figurative sense more than a literal one. I consider myself blessed to have an active father who has given me wisdom and direction throughout my life. My dad helped me with my science projects, changed out the brake pads on my first car, and hugged me when my feelings were hurt. His impact isn’t just about what he’s done for me, it includes the simple conversations on the way to school or a family vacation where he shared his views, shared his life’s journey with me. I was given a special place in his story: not only was I privileged to hear about his life happenings, but I was privy to a front row seat, watching his life played out like a movie on a big screen. It’s a rare thing to see someone’s life so up-close and to see words matched to action but that is how I’ve seen my dad’s life.
There are many words my dad has spoken to me. He’s never been one to tell me “this is what you need to do” But instead, his approach has been a gentle one. “If I were you, these are the things I’d consider…,” he’d say. He was never pushy, never overbearing, and never intrusive.
Even in moments when he’d offer a warning and I decided to go my own route and failed, he never gave me an “I told you so.” Instead, he gave me the freedom to learn on my own and he offered what he had willingly as I requested.
I consider myself doubly blessed because in addition to my dad, I also have mentors in my life, who impart wisdom in so many ways and throughout important key times in my life. For example, on one occasion I wasn’t sure about taking a promotion so I sat down with a close family friend who helped me weigh the pros and cons. Even as recent as last week, a healthcare mentor offered to sit down with me and provide some insight on a healthcare case I’m presenting at a case competition. Sometimes the words they offer are specific to situations or circumstances and sometimes they are just general to life.
The point isn’t that they’ve decided to share. Instead, the point is that I’ve chosen to listen.
A friend gave me a quote that states: “Wisdom is learning from experience, preferably your own.”
That quote has had a profound effect on my life and in how I approach life’s lessons. Not only did it affect how I approach my own life lessons but other’s life lessons, as well. It’s impacted how I select mentors in my life because you must be diligent in the selection of those you empower to have voice in your life. If your mentor’s intentions are wrong, they could potentially mislead you in life’s journey. Instead, you have to find those that genuinely love you, care about you, and wish to see you do well in this “crazy thing” called life.
After a relatively short-time of living life, I’ve learned that it is much easier to navigate roads lit with street lights. I liken mentors to the street lights in the road of life. They aren’t there to tell you which way to go. They exist to shed light on the road you’re traveling on. Be willing to learn and give place to mentors in your life so that when you travel, your road is as well lit as possible.
No comments:
Post a Comment