Saturday, October 8, 2011

acquaintances not forgotten

this week was an odd one.

last weekend I found myself in Austin with Ricardo who took me to see my nephews and sister. I always love spending time with all of them. It had been a while since I'd seen my sister and nephews and the time was much needed even if it was only for a few short hours.

we'll make the trip again next weekend for Timothy's birthday party! Definitely looking forward to that...

last Saturday I learned about the deaths of old acquaintances...acquaintances, i'd not seen for a long while. brought up some mixed emotions. these guys were young - fairly young - but then again death is no respecter of age, race, or position.

I have several close friends, who knew these guys fairly well and so it's been hard to see them hurting and go through mourning but it's also a very stark reminder that we should make the most of each day and to not leave words, feelings, and thoughts unspoken.

fast forward to mid-week, we learn of Steve Jobs passing....

I think about how his innovation changed how we interact, how we obtain information, and how it changed many industries including mine - healthcare. when we demo new software for our system - we always ask - is there an app? most of our physicians have iphones, droids, or ipads...the ipad/tablet is a tool of EMR's and the delivery of healthcare services. it's because of Steve Jobs innovation that we have a mouse an graphic interface as my brother reminded me yesterday over dinner...so many accomplishments and yet he too was not exempt from death...it is a destination we all will arrive at.

it's that reminder that will sort your priorities and change how you live life. the scare we had with my mom two summer's ago was enough for me. maybe it's age/maturity - but everything surrounding those events caused me to evaluate which relationships are important and why. I can honestly say that that reflection changed my approach in many relationships. Some I completely cut out of my life and others I try and extend as much grace as I can.

there's more I'd like to say but i've not yet processed through it all. just to say that i'm beginning to see things i' not seen before...or rather begun to understand them...some of them good and some of them not so good. so it feels like a season of pruning. don't jump to assumptions here...those in the know, know what I'm talking about.

i'm most grateful for the stable forces in my life...namely my parents, close friends, and Ricardo...their love and support have helped to steady the helm in the midst of rocky storms...

even now, as I adjust into the work world - i'm grateful for their support as I experience growing pains. it's an exciting time because like everyone else - i dont know what the future will bring...

so i continue to live each moment as best i can and to make sure the people i love know how i feel...tomorrow is the Texas Tech vs A & M game. pretty excited about it since my parents will be in town. always enjoy spending time with them!

No comments: