There are facts.
And then there are stories.
It took me a long time to understand the difference.
Years ago, I experienced the end of a relationship that had once mattered deeply to me. I won’t tell you the details. They belong to more people than just me, and healing has taught me that I can tell the truth about what happened to me without telling someone else’s story.
But I can tell you what happened inside me.
Trust was broken.
Things were said about me that I didn’t recognize as true. Events, conversations, intentions, and assumptions became intertwined until there was a story about me that looked very different from the life I remembered living.
And that story traveled.
For a long time, I thought the deepest wound was losing the relationship.
It wasn’t.
The deeper wound was realizing that people could know the story without ever knowing me.
When Facts Become Fiction
Here’s something I’ve learned about stories:
They don’t have to be completely fabricated to be untrue.
That’s what makes them powerful.
Take a fact.
Add an assumption.
Remove some context.
Connect it to another event.
Assign a motive.
Tell it from one perspective.
Repeat it enough times.
And eventually, something that contains pieces of truth can become more fiction than fact.
The person telling it may even become completely convinced of it.
That’s one reason I’ve become careful about the stories I hear about other people.
I want to know:
What actually happened?
What was actually said?
What part of this is interpretation?
What part is assumption?
What do we actually know about someone’s intentions?
And have we ever asked the person we’re discussing?
Those questions came from experience.
Because once you’ve been turned into a character in somebody else’s story, you understand how much difference there can be between what happened and the story about what happened.
I Wanted Someone to Say It
For years, I think I was waiting for something I couldn’t quite name.
I didn’t want revenge.
I didn’t need everyone to choose my side.
I didn’t even want the relationship back.
I wanted someone to look at what happened and simply say:
That wasn’t right.
No qualification.
No immediate explanation of what the other person might have been thinking.
No rush toward, “Well, there are always two sides.”
Of course there are different perspectives.
Of course I wasn’t perfect.
Of course there are things I would handle differently today.
But acknowledging those things doesn’t require pretending everything that happened was equally right, equally wrong, or simply an unfortunate misunderstanding.
Sometimes something happened.
Sometimes it hurt.
Sometimes it was wrong.
And sometimes healing begins when somebody finally acknowledges that.
What It Did to Me
I can only tell this part of the story because this part belongs entirely to me.
The experience changed me.
I became more direct.
Probably too direct sometimes.
I developed an almost fierce commitment to telling people what I think rather than smiling at them while carrying an entirely different conversation somewhere else.
I became careful about trust.
I learned how destructive triangulation can be.
I learned how quickly assumptions become conclusions and conclusions become stories.
And I discovered something about myself that I’ve had to understand:
Being misunderstood bothers me deeply.
For a long time, that meant wanting to correct things.
Explain things.
Provide context.
Make sure people understood what really happened.
But there’s an exhausting truth about trying to correct someone else’s story:
You don’t know everywhere it has traveled.
You don’t know who has heard it.
You don’t know what version they heard.
And you can’t spend your life chasing it.
I Had to Stop Correcting a Story I Didn’t Write
That may have been one of the hardest parts of healing.
Some people may always believe something about me that isn’t true.
Some may have heard only fragments.
Some may have heard someone’s interpretation presented as fact.
Some may have filled in the blanks themselves.
And some may simply prefer the story they already know.
I can’t fix all of that.
For years, I think some part of me believed healing would arrive when the record was finally corrected.
It didn’t.
Healing came when I realized:
I don’t need everyone who misunderstood me to understand me now.
There are people who know me.
There are people who have walked beside me long enough to recognize my character.
There are people who have seen me succeed, fail, apologize, grow, mess things up, try again, love people well, and occasionally get things spectacularly wrong.
Those relationships became more important than trying to convince people who knew only a story about me.
Healing Didn’t Mean Declaring Myself Innocent
This part matters.
Recognizing that I was hurt didn’t mean deciding I had done everything right.
Healing required uncomfortable questions.
How do I handle conflict?
What happens when I’m angry?
Who do I talk to when someone hurts me?
Am I seeking perspective—or recruiting agreement?
Do I separate what I know from what I assume?
Do I give people an opportunity to explain themselves?
Can I tell someone a difficult truth without using honesty as an excuse for cruelty?
Can I establish a boundary without trying to punish someone?
And perhaps most importantly:
When I tell someone else’s story, am I telling facts—or am I filling the spaces between the facts with my own conclusions?
I don’t ever want the pain of being misrepresented to become permission for me to misrepresent someone else.
That would mean the wound taught me nothing.
You Can Heal Without Going Back
Healing doesn’t always lead to reconciliation.
Sometimes reconciliation isn’t possible.
Sometimes it isn’t wise.
Sometimes two people really are better living good lives in completely different parts of the world.
You can wish someone well without wanting them back.
You can forgive without restoring access.
You can remember something good about a relationship while acknowledging what eventually became unhealthy.
You can stop being angry without deciding that what happened was okay.
Peace doesn’t require pretending.
And healing doesn’t require another conversation.
If Someone Has Told a Story About You
Maybe this is why you’re reading this.
Maybe someone told a story about you that you couldn’t recognize.
Maybe something happened in a friendship, family, church, workplace, marriage, ministry, or community.
Maybe assumptions became facts.
Maybe your intentions were assigned to you.
Maybe people discussed you who never actually talked to you.
Maybe you lost relationships without ever completely understanding what people had been told.
Or maybe the people involved moved on years ago, and you’re frustrated that some small part of you still remembers.
There is hope.
You can recover.
Not because everybody will eventually discover the truth.
They might not.
Not because someone will eventually apologize.
They may never.
Not because you’ll finally get the opportunity to explain everything.
You may not.
You recover because eventually you learn that your life is bigger than somebody else’s story about it.
You can build healthy relationships again.
You can trust again—perhaps with more wisdom.
You can become direct without becoming cruel.
You can establish boundaries without building walls.
You can remember without reliving.
You can forgive without pretending.
And you can stop auditioning for the approval of people who know a story about you but don’t actually know you.
The Story Changes
Healing has taken me a long time.
Longer than I thought it should.
There wasn’t one conversation, prayer, apology, or revelation that suddenly fixed everything.
Healing happened quietly.
I stopped rehearsing explanations.
I stopped imagining the conversation where everything finally made sense.
I stopped needing everybody to know my side.
I became more interested in living truthfully than proving that someone else’s story wasn’t true.
And somewhere along that road, something changed.
The story stopped being about what happened to me.
It became about what happened afterward.
I grew.
I learned.
I became more careful with people’s stories.
I learned to distinguish facts from interpretations.
I learned that acknowledging harm isn’t bitterness.
I learned that forgiveness and access aren’t the same thing.
I learned that peace doesn’t require vindication.
And I learned that another person’s story about me doesn’t get to become the narrator of my life.
So yes.
There was a story.
Parts were true.
Parts weren’t.
Somewhere along the way, some facts became interpretations, some interpretations became conclusions, and some conclusions became fiction.
But that isn’t the story I carry anymore.
What happened to me mattered.
It just doesn’t get to decide what happens next.
And neither does the story.
No comments:
Post a Comment