A little over a month ago, we celebrated our fourth wedding anniversary and our 9th relationship anniversary. Nine years have gone by in the blink of an eye. My prayer is that we’re granted many many more years together.
Ricardo and I didn’t marry as young twenty something year olds. We were well into our 30’s and both been through the ebb and flow of life. We’ve experienced tragedies, been through heartache and in the most devine timing were brought into each other’s lives. We were not naive to the challenges or incredible beauty our relationship would have. Ricardo’s a realist and I’m the optimist. I deal with what I know and take things one moment to the next. We prepare for the worst and hope for the best. We bring each other the balance we each need.
But we didn’t arrive here over night. A very very long time ago, a really good accountability partner gave me a quote: “wisdom is learning from mistakes, preferably not your own.” I took those words to heart and while I’ve made plenty of mistakes all on my own, I stopped to observe those around me and especially those in my inner circle. We’ve cried and prayed together. We sat silently in the roughest of times and we’ve shared pages of text in support of one another. I don’t take for granted those relationships. They’ve allowed me to see upclose all their glories and imperfections and they’ve alllowed me to learn from them.
Another friend once said, people who come into your life are woven into the tapestry of your life and what you carry with you is hopefully the best of them or a lesson learned. I agree.
Over the last few years, Ricardo and I experienced really incredible losses in the passing of loved ones and dear friends. We could stop to wallow in the what-if’s but I don’t think those questions will ever be answered this-side-of-heaven. We could get stuck in that place of what-if but we’ve chosen to move forward and honor their lives in a variety of ways. We haven’t forgotten, we don’t miss them any less, the hole in our hearts their departure has left isn’t filled. But we’ve decided that their living wouldn’t be in vain and that we’d find ways to continue their legacy and to make their lives continue to matter.
We’ve given to support initiatives, we’ve extended grace when it was the hardest thing to do, we talk of them often, we take time to reflect on their lives, but most importantly, we carry their essence in the things we do and in the whys. Their passing reminds us that life is not guaranteed and that it’s like a vapor. Here one minute and could be gone the next. It reminds us not to take for granted the seemingly small moments.
I work in Wound Care/Health Care. Just through my every day work, I’m amazed at the intricacies of the body and how all the elements that must line up to give us life. We focus mostly on skin in Wound Care. Skin integrity and healing... how when certain elements are missing, healing can stall.
I think the same can be said of our emotion, spiritual, relational and mental health...not just our physical health.
Over the next few months, we’ll take part in a number of celebrations. My grandmother turns 90, our close friends are celebrating their 15th anniversary, one of my siblings will turn 40, and our oldest niece will marry. These are the joyous moments of life.
It’s been our niece’s wedding that caused me to reflect on my own relationship with Ricardo. I look back at the start of our relationship and it’s only be recently that I realized the dangers of “keeping score.” It’s part of our human nature to keep track of the wrongs committed against us. Oh we can forgive but forgetting is harder still. I’ve thought about what advice I would give my niece if ever asked. There are so many things to say about marriage but it all boils down to one thing. Don’t ever, ever keep score...keeping score takes us to a place that can starve the healthiest of relationships. It’s a focus on look what I’ve done compared to you.
As I though my about that, I thought about the concept of unconditional love. I was reminded of 1 Corinthians 13: 4-7 and was reminded that “Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.”
It keeps no record of wrongs.
That’s unconditional love and if we want to receive it, we have to extend it. It is not easy but i say it’s harder yet to maintain the roster of wrong-doing. It’s a policing effort that in the bigger scope of things would be better spent in other ways.
So I leave you with these words from my current favorite song by Dan and Shay, Keeping score:
Cause I know I'm only human
Don't know how many sunsets I got left
And I don't wanna ruin
This moment by wondering what comes next
I just want to love you
Like it's all I'm living for
Hold you close, enjoy you more
And spend a little less time keeping score
Maybe you’ve been secretly keeping a score sheet, maybe it’s been a mental one...it’s never to late to reset the scoreboard. But it’s a choice to do so...it’s a choice to say I’m going to focus on unconditional love than fighting a never winning battle. Our humanity will cause us to fail one another but focusing on the right things will keep us moving forward. It’s one of the things our good friend Chris imparted and planted into our marriage.
Keeping score
Someday we're gonna look back
On a night like tonight
The car I pulled up in
The necklace you're wearing
Won't even cross our minds
Someday we're gonna blink twice
Say it happens like that
How much money we saved up
For the time that we gave up
Well, it'll all just be math
On a night like tonight
The car I pulled up in
The necklace you're wearing
Won't even cross our minds
Someday we're gonna blink twice
Say it happens like that
How much money we saved up
For the time that we gave up
Well, it'll all just be math
I know I'm only human
Don't know how many sunsets I got left
And I don't wanna ruin
This moment by wondering what comes next
Don't know how many sunsets I got left
And I don't wanna ruin
This moment by wondering what comes next
I just want to love you
Like it's all I'm living for
Hold you close, enjoy you more
And spend a little less time keeping score
Like it's all I'm living for
Hold you close, enjoy you more
And spend a little less time keeping score
If we're rich to somebody
We're poor to somebody else
We could be happy and nameless
Or broken and famous
But, from what I can tell
We're poor to somebody else
We could be happy and nameless
Or broken and famous
But, from what I can tell
Is that it doesn't really matter
You can't take with you when you go
Life is only getting faster (life is only getting faster)
So, baby, I'd rather
Take tonight nice and slow
You can't take with you when you go
Life is only getting faster (life is only getting faster)
So, baby, I'd rather
Take tonight nice and slow
'Cause I know I'm only human
Don't know how many sunsets I got left
And I don't wanna ruin
This moment by wondering what comes next
Don't know how many sunsets I got left
And I don't wanna ruin
This moment by wondering what comes next
I just want to love you
Like it's all I'm living for
Hold you close, enjoy you more
And spend a little less time keeping score
Like it's all I'm living for
Hold you close, enjoy you more
And spend a little less time keeping score
Be with me now
Be with me right now
Be with me right here, right now
Be with me now
Be with me right now
Be with me right here, right now
Be with me right now
Be with me right here, right now
Be with me now
Be with me right now
Be with me right here, right now
I know I'm only human
Don't know how many sunsets I got left
And I don't wanna ruin
This moment by wondering what comes next
Don't know how many sunsets I got left
And I don't wanna ruin
This moment by wondering what comes next
I just want to love you
Like it's all I'm living for
Hold you close, enjoy you more
And spend a little less time keeping score
Oh, yeah
Keeping score
Like it's all I'm living for
Hold you close, enjoy you more
And spend a little less time keeping score
Oh, yeah
Keeping score
1 comment:
Well written and so true. You continue to amaze me. I'm blessed to have you and Ricardo in my life. 💜
Post a Comment