Saturday, November 23, 2013

A little over due...

What happens when you've driven through crazy weather, found out your grandmother was taken to the ER, and can't sleep (possibly from the dinner you just had hours ago)? 

My response...write a blog. Must mean I have some things on my mind and yes there's quite a bit - from all fronts. 

So first things first, the drive home. I originally intended to come home last weekend but was nursing an ailing wrist. Still recovering but in much better shape than last week! 

As it would be, the weather was a bit nasty and so it took me an hour longer to get through the hill country. I called me mom as soon as I got in and discovered my grandmother had been taken to the ER and so off to her house I went. My Grandfather had a stroke recently and slowly has been deteriorating. To his credit, he's been extremely active for most of his life and now his body is tiring. My grandmother has been his primary caregiver with help from family members.

I try to see my grandparents as often as possible. A few years ago, I realized I had this rare opportunity of time to get to know them better in my adulthood as I finished my undergrad degree. So I tried to stop by as often as possible and even learned how to make tamales with my  sister by my grandmother.

I learned about their families and where they and from. Heard stories (some even inflated! by my grandpa) with my grandmother setting my grandfather straight!

Some really great memories! So it's hard to see them aging. It's inevitable though...I see it in my parents and it reminds me just how fleeting time is!

Brings me to my brother-in-law: I'm not sure exactly what to say but that he's still with us and undergoing a treatment in a facility in Houston. His situation is precarious at best and I'm not going to comment much out of respect for my sister. I do think the current care he is receiving is a step in a positive direction and I pray for their next steps. End of life care and end of life care decisions are never easy and even though we may think oh this is what I'd want in that situation until you're there: you don't realize just how difficult it really is on everyone.

For us, the most important things is the happiness and safety of my sister, her boys, and Cary. There are no clear cut answers and no simple solutions. But we pray whatever time God grants them together leaves positive impressions on the boys. Life is hard and challenging: we don't deny that not do we sugar coat life to think that it's great all the time. Instead we attempt to live out unconditional love and support. Even when it means FaceTime'ing with two little boys hunkered down in a 'Secret Fort'! 

As if those challenges in life weren't enough, a lot of changes happening at work. My team is growing quickly and as new people are added, adjustments are being made. I don't stress over things like that over change. It's necessary and inevitable. I try to remain positive and to turn the challenge into teachable learning moments. So with the holidays comes a fury of activity and many deadlines. Secretly I find it enthralling! Ask me in a few months how it went!

So then there's Mr Ricardo! This man who I'm extremely grateful for! He gives me the freedom to be where I need to be and understands the things most important to me. Not only does he support my dreams but he takes care of the things that I cannot. Like fixing my car after I ran over a carcass! He doesn't demand that I attend his family holidays nor do I demand that of him. We had some discussions about Thanksgiving and initially I was going to spend it with his family but because of recent events feel the need to come home and be with my family. He understands that and is ok with it. He takese to see my nephews whenever I ask and more important cares for my nephews. I don't know what if do without this man! I'd survive for sure but he makes my life better. So the question we're always asked: when are you getting engaged? 

We've been together coming up on four years...I get it but I also get this issue of timing. Being the right thing for both of us and when it's the right time, it'll happen. I'm not anxious about it not expecting a time table...we have limited time to be where we are now and rather than runnig and jumping into the next phase: I'd rather things evolve naturally and not artificially. This relationship is to important to jump and skip ahead...so sorry folks no easy answers and besides I'm not the one doing the asking anyhow! Lol my job is to sit back and enjoy the ride and it's been a sweet one so far!

I'm finally sleepy and there's actually a lot going on this weekend. Finishing up the planning for my folks 40th anniversary dinner so tomorrow is a busy day! And of course keeping an eye on the weather for the travel home!   Next week is a three day work week...well I say that but inevitably end up taking work home! Be blessed!




No comments: