Thursday, November 22, 2012

Beyond measure...

Finally completing the big move this weekend as I complete the full transition to my new city. As of Monday, I'll have completed 7 weeks with my new organization. Time has literally flown by!

I wish I could say more about my new city but the transition has been a bit unusual. Mainly because I have little furniture so most of my belongs are still in suitcases and boxes.

Not to mention since i'm carrying two residences through the start of next year, I wasn't exactly in a hurry to make the complete transition. Lets be honest: I don't think I could've within the two week constraints I initially had. So this has been a bit drawn out but necessary and it's allowed me to give some much needed time to my family.

It's a huge contributor to why I moved where I did. Cary's doing better in hospice care though he spends quite a bit of time sleeping. His pain seems to be better managed and we're grateful. Still working to manage the boys understanding and expectations of what's to come: not something anyone is looking forward too. But we're grateful for the time Cary has here.

I spend a lot of time thinking about what's to come and whether that process will be slow or quick. Spend time praying for my sister and my nephews for peace, understanding, and strength but mostly I pray for Cary. Not easy to explain what I pray specifically for or about and not something that should be shared publicly but I can say most of the time, it's about surrendering to God knows what's best not just for myself but for our family. I often ask for God to do what He deems best and for the grace to know what is His will.

Oddly or not: through those prayers which I offer up on behalf of my family speak daily to me. I'm reminded that life is: fleeting, none of us is guaranteed tomorrow, to make each moment count, don't get hung up on the petty things... I'm able to see the beautiful blessings in my life and the opportunity to be in relationships to affect positive meaning now. No positive outcome comes from me - i'm not capable - but from God as I'm just a vessel.

It's not just my sister's situation but also that of so many around me. Dealing with life, death, painful challenges, and choices in life. It reminds me that we are all of human spirit and that we all face challenges on a daily basis.

This reality challenges me to better as a person and in my relationships each day. I'm grateful for that and grateful to be part of a community of honest individuals.

Life is not easy and the challenges test us...but I'm most thankful that we don't have to go it alone. If there is any goodness in my life, any certainty of faith, any strength in what cannot be seen; it is to the testament of what I've witnessed God do in the lives of the people I know and in my own life.

It has come after walking through valleys of darkness with dwindling hope but only a small glimmer of light knowing God has seen me through it...that He fulfills His promises: that joy does come after the mourning. It is through those experiences that have built my faith in knowing that God WILl see us through.

We've not been promised that it wouldn't be painful that we wouldn't cry but we've been promised we wouldn't go at it or be alone...there is a light that is with us always. Though it may be but a glimmer, it's enough to let us know it us indeed there.

Sometimes that light is via God himself and often its through others. I'm grateful for it and for knowing that we can trust in it.

That faith gives me the courage to face each day and to do what needs to be done. It provides courage and strength, peace and understanding but most of all love: which conquers all - never lacks for anything and guides our hearts.

So glad Cary's able to celebrate another year of life. Happy Birthday Cary!

No comments: